Brian V

Default Ceiling light wiring question

"Capricious" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I just bought a cool used hanging ceiling light fixture, but the
wires coming out of the fixture are confusing. There are two covered
wires and one naked copper one. I assume the copper wire is the
ground, but the two other wires are both white. How can I tell which
is connected to the house's hot wire, and which to neutral?

I've seen the reverse of this question here, where both house wires
are the same color, and I know you'd use a voltage meter in that
situation, but with no power to the light fixture, how can I be sure
to hook it up correctly?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

use an ohm meter. The white will be the one that connects to the threaded
portion on the light socket. The black will be the one that connects to the
small brass point in the bottom of the socket.