Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] jrwalliker@gmail.com is offline

Default Streaming HDMI

On Monday, 10 June 2019 08:40:43 UTC+1, Brian Reay wrote:
Posted more in hope than anticipation as Google hasnt helped:

I already have a gizmo box which sits on my network and streams TV which
can be viewed on iPads, computers, etc and even records programs if
required.

Id like to add something to the network which takes an HDMI signal and
streams it to the network in a similar way.

I can find HDMI to Cat 5/6 adapters etc but that isnt what I need, those
are point to point cable solutions. Im after something that, for example,
takes the HDMI input and allows me to view it via Wi-fi on my iPad.

Ive Googled but had no luck yet.

I have come across such devices - as a result of the problems they
can cause in an office environment. This is because they typically
use multicast addressing which can saturate WiFi networks. This
is because the multicast is transmitted at the speed of the slowest
listening device on the network. With high definition video this
easily uses up most of the WiFi network capacity if there happens
to be a slow device connected somewhere.
Access points can sometimes be configured to convert the multicast
into multiple unicasts, but this is probably even worse.

John