Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Batteries - rechgble NiMH in place of Alkaline/Lithium?

On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 23:02:12 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 09/06/2019 22:24, PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 21:28:11 +0100, Nick Odell wrote:

I blew up the electronics in an "only use alkaline cells" camera by
using NiMh. A little discussion (either here or another newsgroup - I
don't remember) and it became obvious that the internal resistance of
the cells were critical to the performance and survivability of the
electronics. It was a 1980s camera so perhaps that design wouldn't have
been seen as so negligent in those days.

Could be voltage or internal resistance. I've a BP monitor that musn't have
NiMH - it has a little pump, so I expect the current would be too high.
Seems to me, in many cases, that the high-draw devices need the higher
resistance, e.g. so as not to overload a motor or, in the case of a camera,
the flash might be the critical circuit.
Oral-B toothbrush runs well on NiMH - one lasted just over 3 years, the same
as a rechargeable one that cost 3x as much. The Lidl equivalent needs the
higher voltage of alkaline.
I've a little Aldidl camera that's good on NiMH, so it's not all cameras.

There's just too much "crying wolf" on this matter to know what to do.

Two courses: safe way or head up arse and cross fingers! :-
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away