Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power sockets with 'stuff'

On 07/06/2019 14:22, Theo wrote:
Seems the IoS [1] is plumbing new depths:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Group-Gear-...dp/B06Y6CKPZG/

13A wall socket with an inbuilt wifi router. What could go wrong?

1. A metal pattress is hardly the best place to put a piece of radio gear

I suppose it might help stop it radiating its signal through a party
wall and your neighbours trying to piggyback onto it

2. I bet there are no firmware updates

Sellers seem to refer to the manufacturer's website for firmware
updates, but without an account, you can't delve any deeper, so I have
no idea what's available.

3. When you need to reboot your router, you have to powercycle your house

One of the buttons on the frontplate is a device reset button according
to the retailer's website that I looked at.

SteveW