Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wax Actuator watts?

Clive Arthur submitted this idea :
Good idea, but 400V doesn't give much margin on 240V RMS - go for a 1N4007
1kV diode.

Good point, I have plenty of 4004's around here.
This used to be a trick for keeping a non-thermostatic soldering
iron on standby, you put a diode in a torpedo switch.

Yes, no you mention it, I have used that trick myself for irons.

(Although the motor does say .02A which would make it ~5W @ 240V.)

Yes, I spotted the .02A but I wasn't clear that it meant amps and it
doesn't indicate .02A at which voltage.

As it was, it was quite quick to respond to open, it will open a bit
slower now with the diode in circuit - once the replacement actuator
arrives.