Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Anybody Need A Ladder?

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 11:07:30 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 8:33:45 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
I used to have 14' and 16' double sided fiberglass step ladders. I
cried when a helper drove off without tying them down. They both broke
when they hit the road. I don't remember exactly what they cost, but I
seem to recall the pair was around a grand nearly 15 years ago.

I bought an 8 foot 1A single sided stepladder 20+ years ago. I thought it was expensive then. Home Depot is selling my ladder for $150 today. Which does not seem too expensive. Home Depot also is selling the ladder in the post starting this thread. $385. Werner 8 ft. Fiberglass Extension Trestle Step Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-8...7408/203134289

Stupid question: Is it intended that the user climb onto the
highest rungs? I'm guessing those are there so that you can
climb onto the sides of the base of the "regular part" of the
ladder, and use those rungs for "hanging on". What is correct?

According to OSHA Oregon, yes, it can be climbed.

https://osha.oregon.gov/OSHAPubs/3083.pdf

"Can the vertical extension section be climbed?

When approved by the manufacturer for this purpose, the extendable vertical
section can be climbed. Additional measures such as installing guy lines may
be required to ensure stability."

According to OSHA, once the vertical section extends at least 2 rungs above
the trestle it is no longer a step ladder.

This doc doesn't specifically say that you can climb the vertical section,
but it does at least allow you stand on the top step of the trestle portion..

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/stand...ons/2012-01-03