Doug Miller

Default Figuring loads / block & tackle theory

In article , (The Other Harry) wrote:
[On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:08:41 GMT, "Michael Daly"
wrote:]

If you don't beleive it, get a spring balance and test it.
You can use a light rope and something weighing only 10lb
or so.

I might just do that.

You'll be surprised. I was -- when I read the first post this morning that
stated it would be 80 lbs, my first thought was "what a bunch of crap". But
the poster's reasoning seemed valid to me. So I tried it, using a reasonably
good spring balance, a toolbox, and a rope. The toolbox, just hanging from the
spring balance, weighed 28 lbs. Then I tied the rope to the toolbox handle,
passed it through the hook on the balance, stood on one end of the rope, and
lifted the toolbox by the balance: 55 lbs.