Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default humming CFL

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 4 Jun 2019 11:08:26 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 6/3/19 1:18 PM, micky wrote:

[snip]

As I said, with the CFL the interference could be lessened by turing the
radio off frequency a little**, but with the first LED bulb, I turned
the tuning knob a half turn in each direction, from maybe 88 to 92 MHz
FM. and the hum was the same everywhere, twice as loud as the sound had
been. It's interesting that it interfered with FM reception, which is
less vulnerable than AM, but it appeears, not invulnerable.

**An advantage to analog tuning over digital tuning.

In the eighties I had an old TV (non cable ready). I found that by
setting it to channel 7 and misadjusting the fine tuning, I could get
channel 22 (cable midband, frequency just below that of ch. 7).

BTW, you could get ch. 6 sound on an FM radio.

Wow.

Unrelated but you remind me, Our first TV was a Dumont, with magic eye
tuning. It had continuous tuning like a radio (both gross? and fine
tuning) and the channels 2 to 13 were marked in their approximate
location on the dial, 2 where 1 o'clock would be, and 13 where 11
o'clock would be. I think 2, 3, 4, and 5 were grouped together, then a
space and 6 and 7, then 8 to 13 in a group. Between 7 and 8 were the FM
radio stations, and a swich on the TV would turn off the picture so you
could listen to the radio without running the TV. Unfortunately there
were no FM stations in New Castle, Pa. or even Pittsburgh in 1953 or
1960, none in Indianapolis from 1960 to 64, none in Chicago afaik from
64 to 70, but by the time I got to NYC in '71, they had FM radio.
Unfortunately I didn't still have that television.