Tony Williams

Default Silent thermostat

In article ,
Huge wrote:

So ... I bought a Dimplex 2kW convector heater to have on at
night, thinking it would be relatively silent. Wrong. The
thermostat in it reminds me of the Rank Organisation's gong in
the credits of their movies. So, we're lying there wide awake
(nice and warm, mind) listening to this thing going *TICK*,
long pause, *TOCK*, long pause,

[snip]

If the thing is 2KW capacity and is cycling the thermostat
then it is running at less than 2KW average. You can gain
some idea of the actual power by estimating ON/(ON+OFF).

If that is the case then it might be possible to run it at
a reduced mains voltage such that it produces the same avg
output power without ever tripping the thermostat (turn the
stat up full anyway). eg, P= V-squared/R, so running at
(say) 0.707x normal mains voltage would produce an average
of 1KW output from a 2KW heater.

TRIAC power regulators are devices that produce an effective
reduction of the AC voltage into a resistive load (silently).

See http://www.farnell.com part numbers 291-500 or 291-511.

291-511 is interesting because it also allows attachment of a
thermistor for temperature control.

--
Tony Williams.