Jim Elbrecht

Default Figuring loads / block & tackle theory

(The Other Harry) wrote:

During a recent trip to Mexico, I bought a pot that I
would like to hang in my front window. The problem is
that the pot is heavier than I thought it would be when I
was negotiating with the vendor. I haven't weighed it,
but I make it out to be about 25 pounds. Add the weight
of the plant, the water, the mix, etc, and it gets pretty
heavy.

So, I've been thinking. What if I distribute the weight?

-snip-

The block & tackle plan would be interesting as a conversation piece,
but I'm betting you can put a 1/4 inch stainless eye bolt in a joist
& be rated for 4-500 pounds with no danger of someone unhooking 1/2 of
your contraption & being hit on the head with pottery.

Jim