Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default humming CFL

On 6/2/2019 6:18 AM, micky wrote:
I've been listening to a weak FM radio station, on a radio, and 2 feet
away was a desk lamp. It used a CFL and I noticed static or some kind
of interference in the reception. It could be lessened by changing the
frequency a little, but the result was still less volume than when the
light was off.

So I figured, LEDs! They won't make interference. Bought Ecosmart.
Then the radio hummed so loud I couldn't hear the station at all.

I will probably go back to incandescent. Any other way to get rid of
the hum?

You could add a better directional antenna to the radio.

I've not had any similar problem myself, so maybe you just tried the
wrong bulb, Or, maybe you just need an AC filter between the lamp and
the AC line that is probably shared with the radio.