Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default How to determine Live switch wire

On 02/06/2019 16:19, Roger Hayter wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

On 02/06/2019 10:47, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 09:05:10 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

On 02/06/2019 09:02, ss wrote:
On 02/06/2019 08:54, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

I assume using my cheap multimeter I could do the same and check for
voltage?

Yes. Look for changes when you 'modulate' the light switch.

Yes, but not with a "cheap multimeter" - those ones typically pay zero
attention to proper mains isolation despite their self-declared CAT
ratings and have no MOVs etc.

You don't touch any metal parts of a "cheap multimeter" as they are all
plastic apart from the metal parts of the probes.

You may be able to touch metal parts when the case melts though.

Or pick them out of your face, when it flashed over internally...

--
Cheers,

John.