Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Caspersz Adrian Caspersz is offline

Default How to determine Live switch wire

On 02/06/2019 14:40, Max Demian wrote:
On 02/06/2019 10:47, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 09:05:10 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

On 02/06/2019 09:02, ss wrote:
On 02/06/2019 08:54, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

I assume using my cheap multimeter I could do the same and check for
voltage?

Yes. Look for changes when you 'modulate' the light switch.

Yes, but not with a "cheap multimeter" - those ones typically pay zero
attention to proper mains isolation despite their self-declared CAT
ratings and have no MOVs etc.

You don't touch any metal parts of a "cheap multimeter" as they are all
plastic apart from the metal parts of the probes.

Leads are a suspect as well.

I was wondering what was constantly draining our car battery, and what
current it was - expecting a few 10's of milliamps drawn.

Erm no.

With a series connection I found I had rather more. Amazon's finest 99p
test leads have a nifty built in detection feature.

Smoke....

(I now have a decent clamp meter that does DC)

--
Adrian C