Curmudgeon

Default Weak Receptacles-Cause?

You need a cheap voltmeter and one of those plug in polarity testers. You
can get both for under $25 at home depot.
With the cheap voltmeter set to "AC voltage", stick one lead into each of
the slots on your outlet (not the round-looking ground slot). Look at the
meter...if it reads 110-120, you have the correct voltage....anything lower
and you need an electrician to open the breaker panel and check things out
professionally.

"CooSer" wrote in message
I am new to this group but may be using it a lot since I have just bought

house that is turning out to be a true Handy Man Special.

Question: Some of my receptacles will run low voltage such as lights, but
not very bright. A hundred watt bulb will only look like it is 50W. A
vacuum cleaner will not even work.

I have replaced all receptacles in the bedroom but there may be more
switches and receptacles on this circuit.

Can anyone tell what the problem may be and is there an easy way to test

it?