Stormin Mormon

Default Furnace not turning on

sounds like you found the problem, now just to get someone out to replace
the part. Sometimes it might be an air paddle, but I'm used to seeing a
vacuum actuated switch. Same idea -- the furnace requires a positive air
flow through the combustion chamber before the gas turns on. So that you
don't pump carbon monoxide into your house.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed" wrote in message

The furnace purge motor has to be operating before the main gas valve will
operate. There is usually a paddle in the air flow of this purge system

let the system know that there is air flow and gases are being exhausted

out
so that a gas flame doesn't ignite leftover gases and explode.

It sounds like this purge motor is lacking lubrication in its bearings, or
the fan blade is rubbing against something. If you want to work on this
yourself, you can remove the purge fan motor and fan and spin the motor
shaft and see if the bearings are OK. Check for sloppiness in the shaft
rotation. Connect the motor to its appropriate voltage and see if it
operates properly. If you need a new motor, you can contact your local
furnace company and give them the model of the furnace, and the model of

the
motor and get a new one.

Thanks to everyone for your informative replies. I'll have a closer look at
this inducer/purge motor and see how difficult it'll be to replace. I do
appreciate the safety risks involved in fixing a furnace, so if I don't feel
confortable with the task at hand I will call a heating technician out to
fix the problem. Even then, with the info you all have provided, it'll
hopefully help me be more informed when dealing with the technician.

I'll try to keep everyone posted once I get this problem resolved.

Ed.