HA HA Budys Here

Default add a light in bedrooms

From: "Mike J" thespam

I am also building new house.

Electrical work is a racket. Installing $7 HALO light cost $100

Even a Halo trim is more than 7.00.

My builder claims that outlet on the dust ledge in MB must be GFI so $150
charge.

All receptacles in a Master Bath must be GFCI, Including a dust ledge.

Microwave has to have dedicated curcuit, but when builder install own MW it
doesn't.

So let the builder install it.

First get the Code book and read requirements. My builder also claimed if I
don't pay for
dedicated circuit for a basement, they will connect basement to kitchen, or
living room,
or even waterheater. Yeah.... I would like to see them passing electrical
inspection
with basement outlets wired to waterheater. Talk to city/county inspectors,
they are the
good guys. See a problem let them know...

That is if you're capable of detecting a problem. Obviously you are not. A
basement requires a 15a convenience outlet GFCI protected. That is all. There
is no provision in the code requiring it be "dedicated." You'll likely get that
outlet connected to a front and rear outdoor outlet and a garage outlet all on
the same circuit, protected by 1 GFCI or a GFCI circuit breaker.

The laundry area would require it's own circuit(s) for those appliances only.

Beat builders at they own game...
1) Wire the second floor that can be accessed via attic is easy.

1a) I would not mess with cathedral, my new house will have some places 40+
feet tall.
If electrician wants money that bad, $100 for light that high up is well
worth it.

An additional light or lights is work. 100.00 is getting off easy no matter
what the height.

2) First floor, instead of wasting $100/light x 6 lights pay prewire and
tell them were to poke a hole in the drywall,
my builder charges $50 and that includes a switch (dinky one).

I've never known a builder or sub to even offer "pre-wire."

3) If you need to install more than 6 recessed lights pay for another
prewire.

4) L shaped recessed lights can be installed later. Canisters are pretty
large,
so when you cut hole for one you can get drill to make hole in the joist for
wires going to next light.

If the next light is in the next joist bay.

5) Sneak in additional wires after electrical inspection.

Usually, before the sheetrock goes up the electrican does a once-over.
Especially in a development.

6) Make holes for existing wires large to allow for additional wires. Add
small string to allow pull
new wires to outlets. Pre-drill holes in the joists, I would not use small
bit, so closing them be time
wasting exercise for builder.

7) Get clip-on electrical boxes.

I would have had to spent about $5000 to get wiring, and a 3 pairs of stupid
cheap ass no name wall
speakers, and three $7 volume controls. ( Premium theater package ). Plus 2k
alarm and automation wires.

No thanks.