SQLit

Default Weak Receptacles-Cause?

"CooSer" wrote in message
I am new to this group but may be using it a lot since I have just bought

house that is turning out to be a true Handy Man Special.

Question: Some of my receptacles will run low voltage such as lights, but
not very bright. A hundred watt bulb will only look like it is 50W. A
vacuum cleaner will not even work.

I have replaced all receptacles in the bedroom but there may be more
switches and receptacles on this circuit.

Can anyone tell what the problem may be and is there an easy way to test

it?

Try tightening all the wires in the panel below the main breaker. You
really should turn off the main when you do this. Then turn on the main and
see what voltages you are getting there. If your in the US it should be 240
phase to phase at the main and 120 from each phase to the ground/neutral
bar/can. You need a vom, a Volt Ohm Meter to do this. If these voltages are
not present then you need to call an electrician. Now check the outlets with
your meter, if your not reading 120 volts ac then you still need an
electrician.