jim

Default add a light in bedrooms

tweety wrote:

I am building a new house and I have to work with the developers
subcontracotors. The electrician is going to be charging me an arm
and a leg for electrical work. Of course they are giving me a basic
min required. For the bedrooms, living, family rooms, they are going
to have one switch with one outlet that is switchable. In the
kitchen, garage and dining rooms, one light in the ceiling and a
switch.

I have 2 stories, Living area downstairs and bedrooms upstairs with a
basement as well. I have a bunch of quetions and I appreciate if you
can help answer them.

1. I intend to install a fan in each bedroom and family room. At
minimum I like a light with a switch. Can I later on install a light
in the ceiling easily from the power comming to the outlets? What
Would I need to get done? He is asking me $95 for a fan box and $50
for a switch in each room.

2. Eventually, I want the fan and the light to be operated with the
same switch ( I think, can this be done?

3. In the kitchen I like to install recessed lights, but the chage is
$110 each with $50 for a switch. Can I easily install recessed light
later on in the kitchen? The other option is to install track
lighting later on and is that something that I can do easily later on?

4. In the bathroooms, I will ahve one switch and light. i like to
install a vanity light as well and of couse he is charging me $85 for
it. I think this is a real ripoff, since he just has to install few
feet of cable and attach a light bulb to it. I think eventually, I am
going to want to install an exaust fan which currently will cost me
$295 +50 for the fan and additional $200 for the venting.

5. In the garage they are going to install a light with one switch.
I like him to install a switch at the other end of the garage as well
($50) and a light on the outside of the garage.

I am assuming since, there will be outlets all over the house, I can
use the power or the cabling comming through them to do some of this.

I am also going to install 2 PVC conduits so that I can take wires
from basement to attic easily.

BTW, all he gives me is a light bulb at those ceiling lights.

Please help me figur out what I can do later on fairly easily and cut
the costs out. Also, If you can point me to where I can readup on how
to do someof this myself would be great.

Sorry for the long post.

dont bother with all these rip off artist, just tell them you dont want
electricity and you gonna use candles.. save even more money... save the
wax from the candles when the melt and buy new string and make your own
candles.. that will fix them....