Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical question:

On Wed, 29 May 2019 06:49:44 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 6:46:10 AM UTC-4, Marius Josipovic wrote:
On 5/28/19 4:18 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 11:24:04 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 28 May 2019 06:08:29 -0400, bull****
wrote:

On 5/28/19 2:20 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
There are no breakers or fuses rated
at less than 15 amps approved for residential wiring installations.
More bull****!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Siemens-...Q110/206632124
None approved for Canadian installation.

American code does not seem to reference 10 amp breakers as
acceptable. Check NEC code reference 210.3 with the following...

"Branch circuit ratings for other than individual circuits must be
15A, 20A, 30A, 40A, or 50A."

This MAY allow for a 10 amp breaker to protect a particular hard
wired/exclusive circuit such as a dish-washer or garburetor -
Generally speaking "device protection" breakers, as differentiated
from "circuit protection" breakers are installed in or at the
protected device rather than in the panel.

Seimens ans Square D APPEAR to be the only source for 10 amp breakers
and they are not (as far as I can determine) available in Canada. Not
available from my electrical wholesalers.
10 amp breakers are specifically for alarm circuits, not general
lighting circuits.
And for monitoring circuits (e.g. on solar panal arrays).

They are listed for the panel so I see nothing dangerous about using them on any circuit you like.

Assuming everything else is done right, they would not be dangerous,
but they would not be code compliant if used for uses like receptacles
or general lighting.

That is an interesting question. As long as the "ampacity" (14ga or
larger wire) complied, I am not sure if it is a violation.
This came up with the idea of putting the bedroom smokes on a 10a
right after the AFCI rules kicked in on 15 and 20a 120v circuits
(2002).
The opinion of NFPA was you still needed to include AFCI protection
but they didn't say it was illegal. At the time there was no "device"
AFCI so it was moot.