Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default strip foundations

On 28/05/19 17:15, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 08:50:26 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, 28 May 2019 11:45:29 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 28/05/2019 06:48, fred wrote:
New greenhouse going up 4m x 3m roughly. Aluminium frame with glass. any recommendations for foundations. Its on good firm ground

concrete blocks laid on sides or paving slabs

No need for 'real' foundations

+1, they're so light, and able to tolerate a little ground movement.

Not sure about that. Perhaps if the panes are fairly small, but if
they're single Dutch Lights, even a slight amount of ground movement
will cause the rectangular side frames to distort to parallelograms,
putting stress on the glass, which then cracks. DAMHIKT.

Indeed. I specified toughened glass panes for my greenhouse and I'm very
glad I did. Twice, strange wind eddies sucked out the end roof panel
(about 1500 x 300mm) and deposited - fortunately on the lawn - five
metres away. Being toughened glass, the panel didn't break.

--

Jeff