RB

Default how to drill post holes in solid rock

SDS, SDS-MAX and SDS-Plus refer to the Spline Drill mounting of the bit.
SDS-Max is trademarked by Bosch. I don't know who owns the trademark
SDS and SDS-Plus but I suspect it is also Bosch. A couple of spline
configurations are shown in the link below.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...f+107885941 9

The numeric descriptions, 1", 1-1/2" 2", etc. indictae the maximum
diameter bit for that tool.

RB

klim wrote:

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 22:21:36 -0500, RB wrote:

I had to drill a large number of 1-1/4" holes 15 inches deep in
granite to place a dock two years ago. The local Makita rep offered
me the loan of a Makita HR3851 rotary hammer and with it I was able
to drill them quite easily.

snipped

Thanks, RB. That might be a good way to go. I used a rotary hammer a
few years ago to pin some footings to bedrock and it worked pretty
well. One question maybe you can answer. I come across the terms SDS,
and SDS-MAX in researching rotary hammers - what do they mean? And
when a hammer is described as being 1" or 1 1/2", what exactly do
those specs refer to?