Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Java Jive[_2_] Java Jive[_2_] is offline

Default Siemens WD14H421GB Washer-Dryer Doesn't Spin

On 20/05/2019 13:22, Java Jive wrote:
As per title, the latest in an alarmingly and depressingly long list of
household item that have died or malfunctionned recently is a Siemens
WD14H421GB Washer-Dryer which was last used about a week and a half ago
and worked fine.Â* Turned it on this morning to wash some sheets, and
it's not spinning, further during normal agitation the drum only turns
anti-clockwise, whereas it should alternate directions, and AFAICR
spinning is clockwise.

Fortunately, unlike the late fridge/freezer, whose saga has already been
told, it's still comfortably within its 2 year warranty, but until I
have time to read the instructions, etcÂ* -Â* just now I have to go out
unexpectedly to buy a new clothes line to hang my dripping sheets onÂ* -
and/or can arrange for it to be repaired, has anybody who has
experienced similar have any suggestions?

Well, wadda y' know!

After the dripping sheets episode, I tried switching it off and leaving
it for a few minutes, etc, all to no avail - when switched back on it
still only agitated anti-clockwise and still didn't spin. So I
unplugged it awaiting repair. It's due to be fixed Thursday.

However, yesterday, I realised I was running out of clean clothes,
towels, etc, and since outside it was drier with not much rain, I
thought I'd wash the most urgently needed items and let them dry on the
line. While the first wash was going, I noticed it was agitating in
both directions, and so wondered whether it would now spin, and, sure
enough it did, and yesterday and today I've been able to catch up
completely with my washing.

The problem is, should I cancel the appointment or not?
What caused the failure?
Water somehow splashed onto the control circuitry?
A spider or insect in the works, literally a bug?*
Will it recur?
Only heaven knows!

I can't win either way. If I cancel the appointment, and then the fault
reoccurs, whether in a few days or after the warranty expires, I'll
curse that I didn't at least allow the bod to come up and see if there's
some sort of discernible fault with it; if I don't cancel, I can already
hear the sharp intake of breath when I explain that the problem has now
'fixed itself', and see the pitying look on the man's face as he thinks:
"Got a right old fool here!"

* Belief it or not, the word 'bug' is used in computer circles because
a fault in an early device turned out to be caused literally by a bug
that had got inside the casing.