SQLit

Default Antenna Grounding

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
John wrote:

Im new to this and know this subject has been discussed in the past. I
have tried reading previous posts, but am still confused on the
subject. I want to put up a tv antenna. I plan on attaching the mast
to my facia. Radio shack sells cable with the ground wire attached,
which I plan on running into the house and grounding to a cold water
pipe.
The antenna will be mounted on the opposite side as my house ground.
Will this be enough? I really dont want wires running all over the
side/roof of my house.Also wil this also ground the mast or does that
need grounded to?
Thanks
John

Off the top of my head, I would drive a new 8' or 10' ground rod right
under the mast and ground to it with a big wire with as few bends in it as
possible -- probably a bare stranded #8. Then I would run a #6 solid wire
from the that new electrode to the nearest point on the grounding

electrode
system for the house -- the electric meter enclosure would be the closest
point on my service. The new ground rod is now an extension of your
service ground. If your antenna takes a lightning hit, the most of the
charge should travel straight down into the new ground electrode under

your
tower.

-bob

Sound advice except for the connecting conductor needs to be the same size
as the grounding electrode for the service. 200 amp is #4.

Grounding the antenna will not protect you from a lightning strike. It might
divert some of the energy into the ground before it destroys your running
electronics... Sorry it is the way it is.