Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Drilling hole in basement concrete wall

"Johnnyboi" m wrote in
message ...
So I want to hang up a pull-up bar in the basement wall that is concrete.
My
dad says that we can't drill holes into the wall because water would leak
through. Is he right or wrong? We have had water leak through into the
basement when it rains a lot. I just don't see how the water would get
through
to the holes.

Depends on the detail of the hole. If you go right thru the wall and the
waterproof membrane on the outside of the wall, water can get thru
and it isnt hard to drill right thru some walls, depending on how thick
the concrete is

And the detail of what is used in the hole to hold the screw etc
matters too. A small hole with one of those plastic plugs that
the screw goes into may be fine, because the hole doesnt
need to go right thru the concrete, but a bigger hold with
one of the metal things that get cinched up to hold the bolt
into the wall can end up with space the water can get thru.
I'd normally use one of those for a pull-up bar.