Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas types, was: Inverter generator Do I need that?

On Sat, 25 May 2019 12:10:43 -0400, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

In article ,
danny burstein wrote:

In Fred McKenzie
writes:

I keep ten gallons of aviation fuel on hand. It seems to hold up quite
well. After using the generator, I turn off the fuel valve and run it
dry.

Don't know if this is your Master Plan For World Domination,
but there are versions of avgas still readily available
that contain... yes... lead in them.

Not like the good old days when Superman could use a bucket of
it to shield the kryptonite, but yeah...

You caught me!

At first I did not know about the lead. I was only interested in having
gasoline that would hold up over time.

Now I find there are other blends that do not have the lead, primarily
used in marine applications. But if I get the marine gas, how well does
it hold up over time? The hurricane only drops by every two or three
years.

Fred

People wax lyrically about how great leaded regular was but it
varnished up pretty bad too if you stored it in a vented can,
You also were dealing with fouled plugs and the extra pollution the
lead brought you.
The main problem with E-10 is it absorbs water. If your can is full,
you store it in a cool dry place and the cap is snug (vented enough
not to build up a lot of pressure but not free breathing) that is not
really that big an issue but I still would not store gasoline more
than a few months if I could avoid it. Just dump your 2-3 month old
gas in your car/truck and buy fresh.
I have a boat so gas doesn't hang around here long enough to go bad.
Buying LL100 AvGas really does not make a lot of sense unless you are
driving a car so old that it doesn't have Stellite valves. Even then
you can buy valve lubricant to add to the gas that will work.
They have the exception about E-10 for aviation because of legacy
engines and the fact that icing up the fuel at 8000 feet is not the
same as if you are just sitting in your driveway.