Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Inverter generator Do I need that?

On Sat, 25 May 2019 16:38:00 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , lid says...
he main thing is how much gas do you want to use and store. The
inverters usually use less , especially if not loaded too much.

I think Honda makes an inverter generator that is about 2 kw for right
at $ 1000.

Yes, that's what my friend paid. It was very quiet. I've seen other 2 kw
inverters for half the price, although I don't know how good they are.

Harbor Freight has a 3500 watt inverter generator on sale now for $ 700.
Says 11 hour run time. Wonder if that means it will be used up after 11
hours andyu have to get another one. They have a regular one on sale
for $ 350.

I bought one of the little 750 or so watt ones a while back. Have not
used it very much, mostly to run my electric chain pols saw away from
the house and an electric drill or impact in my out building. It is
very hard to start, but found that if I give it a shot of starting fluid
it will crank right up. Then need to let it run for a short time to
take the choke off. The voltage varies all over the place so would not
want to run anything I really cared about off of it that had any
electronics in it.

If it's used for an occasional not-too-critical use ..
ie trimming trees ; lights in a remote cabin.. etc.
... go for it ! Go cheap.
If it's used for survival items - medical machines ;
etc do not go cheap.
John T .