Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Inverter generator Do I need that?

On Sat, 25 May 2019 12:44:46 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 3:10:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Ed-

The Honda EU2000i would seem to be the ideal generator for you. The
only drawback would be its small gas tank.
Other inverter generators in its class are less efficient because they
may not throttle-down when lightly loaded. And they are loud compared
to the Honda. (Apparently some use a different method of measuring
their sound level.)
I have the Honda EU6500i. It probably uses more gas than the EU2000i,
but has more power and a larger gas tank. With my light load, it will
run at least 16 hours.
Fred

I just phoned my local Honda dealer south Ontario Canada
to check out the EU6500i - he says it's now replaced with
7000 i es @ $ 4900. $ 3650. US dollars

https://powerequipment.honda.ca/gene...quiet-7000i-es

... someday ...
John T.

Or you can get a nat gas/gasoline fuel generator with a Honda engine
and similar output for $2300, but it's not inverter style:

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...tor/p1176.html

Same GX340 engine as my 20 year old EM5000
but mine is 4500 watts vs the Winco 5500 watts !
Winco has a much larger fuel tank.
... not sure what my noise level is - but probably ~
the same ~ 72 db.
The large Honda inverter unit is less than 60 db and I think
that this difference would be significant.
I always feel a little guilty about the noise - during a summer
outage, when neighbours have windows open.
As someone said - perhaps the inverter technology
wouldn't stand up for 20 years .. but .. then again ..
neither will I .. :-)
I use mine about 2 or 3 times a year for power outages.
If I haven't used it in ~ 4 months I test-run it , with a couple
little electric heaters plugged in. I do very little maintenance -
.. maybe 3 or 4 oil changes in 20 years ; 1 air filter.
I use regular gasoline always with stabilizer.
John T.