Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default OT Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

On 5/24/2019 1:20 PM, Jerry Osage wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2019 08:19:00 -0400, Jack wrote:

I thought about that, and really, if you think about it, you get a rough
cut off a BS that requires planing/sanding. Much better option is a
thin kerf blade on the table saw, that doesn't require any
sanding/planing for glue up. Much easier and any extra wood waste, if
any, is very marginal, and made up with time savings and accuracy.

He has thought about it and decided that it is cost effective.

I reckon. I thought about too, and still say it is the wrong tool for
the job.

He ran a production shop and started out with regular "hobbyist" tools and
did quality work. As his sales increased - I have ordered one of his boards
- he put the money back into better, and larger tools. And, if Festool
makes a tool he needs - he has it and considers it a good investment.

A few people do. No doubt, as I mentioned a zillion times Festering
tools are all good quality, as are lots of others. You noticed said I
mentioned festering tools just to play a little with Leon. Has nothing
at all to do with using a BS to cut glue joints...

He has now expanded into a small factory and has a retail store in Moscow.
He seems to know his business, and what he is doing since he is making money
and expanding.

Good for him. Hope he makes more than cutting boards...

Moreover, Scott is right. With the right bandsaw and the right blade -
assuming that the saw is tuned-up properly - one would be hard pressed to
tell the difference in cuts.

Possibly, but it is still the wrong tool for the job. I have a high
quality BS. What blade would you suggest that works well, and provides
a finished cut ready for glue up? I don't recall, but is he not sanding
his band sawn pieces for glue up? Possible I reckon, but highly, highly
unusual.

I doubt that Festool stays in business supplying a Status/Prestige market.
They stay in business because they supply a high quality tool that performs
its intended task exceptionally well - and for a long time.

YMMV, and obviously does.

No, my mileage is the same, I know festering tools are quality tools,
just over priced. If you're in a production shop, tool price is not a
big issue, but even then, their are even better industrial grade tools
that are better, more durable than Festering tools. I certainly don't
need a $600 vacuum cleaner in my shop, but would use it occasionally if
one were donated to me. Same with any of their tools. BTW, Scott
Phillips uses festering tools too, and also uses the BS for the wrong
things. He is a woodworking moron!

--
Jack