klim

Default how to drill post holes in solid rock

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 22:21:36 -0500, RB wrote:

I had to drill a large number of 1-1/4" holes 15 inches deep in granite
to place a dock two years ago. The local Makita rep offered me the loan
of a Makita HR3851 rotary hammer and with it I was able to drill them
quite easily.

snipped

Thanks, RB. That might be a good way to go. I used a rotary hammer a
few years ago to pin some footings to bedrock and it worked pretty
well. One question maybe you can answer. I come across the terms SDS,
and SDS-MAX in researching rotary hammers - what do they mean? And
when a hammer is described as being 1" or 1 1/2", what exactly do
those specs refer to?