Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Seagate abandon remote access to their 'Central' NAS

On 24/05/2019 08:42, Steve Walker wrote:
On 03/03/2019 15:15, wrote:
If anyone is still interested, I have some insight with this Seagate
problem.

I had the same issues so figured its ok to stream my media onto my
Roku, but the Seagate app is just horrible to use.Â* Bare with me this
is relevant..Â* after more digging I found a thread explaining how the
newer firmware's we are advised to install have a disabled second
DNLA media app for the NAS.Â* I flashed it back to an earlier version
without losing data and now have a full on version of Twonky 7.2.8.
I used port forwarding on my router to make the external access
functional. Also I opened up the SMB functions and FTP access and a
now have a very controllable media server that makes that seagate app
look pathetic.Â* My ISP assigns my internet service with a dynamic IP
which changes now and again.Â*Â*Â*Â* I have used this service (free)
https://www.noip.com/free which would work with a VPN as mentioned by
Roger.Â* I'm not wanting to pay for a business package, just to obtain
a static IP, so this takes care of that little annoyance.

Depending upon your ISP, a static address may be possible and can be
cheap.

I used to use Dyn-DNS when I was with SKY, but on moving to Plusnet, a
static IP address cost only £5 to set up and with no monthly fees
afterwards. It simplifies some things a little. It is worth checking
what your ISP can provide.

SteveW

IDNET provide one for free.

Since te defualt is 'router always on' with most people it seems strange
that the likes of Plusnet charge. It costs them nothing.

Maybe charges will be dropped as we move to IPv6. At the moment there is
a shortage of IPv4 addresses and it may be that ISPs don't want everyone
to move to static addresses, as it would restrict their ability to
change allocations and re-organise as and when they need to without
causing disruption.

SteveW