Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default rail and stiles use for outdoor projects?

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 6:13:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2019 01:34:17 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 10:21:58 AM UTC-7, Dave wrote:
I have been contemplating using rails and stiles for some flower
planters and a fence ... Any good experiences doing this with outdoor
projects and any advice?

Thick sections (2x6?) of southern yellow pine can stand weather for a few years,

Why not PT, with the above details to shed water? Any fasteners had
better be stainless, however.

PT is ugly, and doesn't weather well . Wood with stain is intended to be out in rain and sunlight,
but PT was intended to resist rot/fungus/insects when buried. Parts of my covered deck are
PT, and were much improved by staining.