Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marland Marland is offline

Default Carriageway retexturing?

Steve Walker wrote:
On 23/05/2019 16:20, Bill wrote:
In message , R D S writes
The road outside work is rutted and potholed. There's trucks coming
past all day and night, local residents can't sleep, you have to
wonder how much shaking a building can take before it falls down.

So a letter came from the council that a stretch was going to be
resurfaced, i'm noting from my office window that this is happening,
yet nothing has been dug up.

These people are here, http://www.jmslincoln.com/hfs.htm,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWaZ-6OLKzc

Is there any danger this will be more than a temporary fix?

I'm guessing not. An educated guess.

On a main road near us, a company is resurfacing large squares of tarmac
surface layer with blacker tarmac-like material.

They have been holding us up for days now, with traffic lights around
each area they resurface. They must have done about 20 to 30 patches so
far.

It doesn't look as if it will last, particularly at the interface
between old and new surface, and the new patches are noticeably bumpier
than the unrepaired areas.

I can't work out why we have such a problem. Over 30 years of holidaying
in the North of France (Brittany) I have driven along one particular
road that has dozens of large rectangular patches to the surface. They
are so smoothly joined that you don't feel anything as you go over them
and in 30 years they haven't deteriorated.

I have also driven on a brand-new road there and everyone in the car
commented on how smooth it was, with no undulations at all.

Why can't we manage even a half-decent road surface or lasting repairs here?

SteveW

Do other countries regard roads in the same way as here in that they are
not just for traffic on their surface
but the function of being a convenient right of way for the various
services as well?
It seems that even if the highway is resurfaced to a good standard it isnt
long before one of the undertakings that are allowed to dig holes do so and
the patch repairs have ruined the smoothness for a decade or more.
It wasnt too critical in towns and cities where speeds were low but many a
good open fast road in the country has been ruined by openreach removing
cables from pole runs and placing them in ducts.

Prime example here where tree roots must have frustrated laying the conduit
a quick diversion and buggering the surface was done rather than dig deeper
on the field side.

https://goo.gl/maps/dmVE2xAki6zQCRhV6

A little further on a change from one side to the other not even done the
shortest route , why couldnt they move it underneath rather than wreck the
road.
https://goo.gl/maps/3XDWWw9rraCCToWXA

Cheap quick job for them , years of imperfect road for the traffic that
uses it.

GH