jeff

Default Maytag washer won't spin

(tkarig) wrote in message om...

Hi,

First of all my Maytag washing machine's model number is A710 Series
1.

Second, the door switch appears to be working unless my reasoning is
incorrect. I assume that if the wash cycle works OK, and that if I
open the door during the wash cycle and the washer stops then the door
switch is working.

If the washer goes on and off when opening the lid during the
agitation mode yes the lid switch should be ok.

As for a loose wire, again I'm assuming that if the motor is working
for the wash cycle then the wiring is OK for the spin cycle.

The motor runs one direction for agitation and reverses and goes in
the other direction for spin.

Obviously the motor is getting current for the wash cycle, but this
doesn't mean the contact for the spin cycle is being closed.

Correct. Make sure a selection is made on the consol, some of those
push buttons can get flush giving problems.

This raises another question based on my observations. If I stop the
wash cycle and switch to a spin cycle, after a momentary delay I've
noticed a spark at what I assume is the contact switch on top of the
washer motor. Not sure if this is a contact switch, but it looks like
one. This doesn't happen every time. Same result regardless, no spin
cycle.

The motor has a start switch built on top of the motor.
The motor can usually be ran/tested seperetly to see if it will
operate or not....
http://appliancehelp.hypermart.net/n...motorwash1.JPG

Bad motor, no power from the timer to the motor in the spin mode, both
are trouble makers or one damaged the other one

As for noises, all I've observed is a slight hum from the timer when I
switch to spin cycle... other than the pop from the spark that I
mentioned above.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/