Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default washing machine sealed drum bearings

On 23/05/2019 10:39, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2019 10:09:55 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 23/05/2019 08:55, sm_jamieson wrote:
My Hotpoint WMUD 962 washing machine needs new bearings and it
apparently has a welded outer drum (I've not checked).
Apparently the bearing can be changed with a little bit of skill if you
drill holes around, split the seam (dremel / hacksaw etc. ?) and bolt
back together with sealant.
OK (if SWMBO will let me try !), but anyone done this and has a list of
gotchas ?

Simon.

Maybe I am lucky, but I have never had to replace washing machine
bearings (in about 45 years). Usual problem of course is a seal failure
and these days that suggests to me a design problem. Sounds like quite a
long and potentially fiddly job, not sure I would even start it.

---

I replaced the bearings in an older Hotpoint (they were simply driven out
and in), and it was a pain (in fact, the problems brought me to this
group for the first time).

When the machine finally became uneconomic to repair, I made the mistake
of replacing it with a new Hotpoint, and it failed within 15 months -
bearings again. Given the sealed drum, the parts were over £100, so I
opted for a fixed price repair for £98 all in. The technician was very
quick, and said he did so many of them he was getting good at it.

When the machine failed again just over a year later, I dumped it for a
Bosch Logixx.

If you include dishwashers, I'm on about my sixth Bosch in 25 years.
Life has always been reasonable, I've replaced a couple of sets of
brushes and some shelf rollers.