Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default washing machine sealed drum bearings

On Thu, 23 May 2019 03:58:13 -0700, sm_jamieson wrote:

On Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 10:39:59 AM UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2019 10:09:55 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 23/05/2019 08:55, sm_jamieson wrote:
My Hotpoint WMUD 962 washing machine needs new bearings and it
apparently has a welded outer drum (I've not checked).
Apparently the bearing can be changed with a little bit of skill if
you drill holes around, split the seam (dremel / hacksaw etc. ?) and
bolt back together with sealant.
OK (if SWMBO will let me try !), but anyone done this and has a list
of gotchas ?

Simon.

Maybe I am lucky, but I have never had to replace washing machine
bearings (in about 45 years). Usual problem of course is a seal
failure and these days that suggests to me a design problem. Sounds
like quite a long and potentially fiddly job, not sure I would even
start it.

---

I replaced the bearings in an older Hotpoint (they were simply driven
out and in), and it was a pain (in fact, the problems brought me to
this group for the first time).

When the machine finally became uneconomic to repair, I made the
mistake of replacing it with a new Hotpoint, and it failed within 15
months - bearings again. Given the sealed drum, the parts were over
£100, so I opted for a fixed price repair for £98 all in. The
technician was very quick, and said he did so many of them he was
getting good at it.

When the machine failed again just over a year later, I dumped it for a
Bosch Logixx.

Anything particularly good about Bosch Logixx (design etc.) ?

One good thing is that it is easy and quick to get spare parts for most
Bosch stuff. Logixx is the top end.

I thibk we've had the Bosch 8-9 years. The only thing with the washing
machine is that I couldn't get the end off the pump to remove a coin or
similar. It was gunged up and it stopped the thing turning. I now pop it
out every six months and clean it. On that occasion I got a new pump, and
then refurbed the old one as a spare.

The dryer has also been fine apart from having to clean out the front of
the heat exchanger - sons don't clean the removable filters and a lot got
through because as we removed the filters, fluff dropped inside. To fix
that, rather strangely you have to cut out a pre-scored plastic panel and
replace it with a screw-on one3. But it works well.