Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Crimp sleeve or alternate ideas...

On 5/22/2019 6:35 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 22 May 2019 18:28:06 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/22/2019 5:26 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 22 May 2019 08:26:49 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/4/2019 10:40 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 20:26:47 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/4/2019 7:20 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 4 May 2019 12:41:11 -0500, dpb wrote:

?
That timer was problematic - the replacement electronic timer is an
excellent way to keep the unique oven functional for years to come.

How so? Has worked for nearly 40 years... and the timer/clock itself is
still fully functional; just lost the handle. Pliers work, but are
somewhat inconvient, the missus says...
I just read they were known to be a problem. Yours has worked well,
but apparently some didn't.

What you basically need is a knob about 3/8 inch long with a long
hollow shaft to fit over the 1/8 inch stub that you can epoxy on -
right? How much of the 1/8 inch shaft do you have left to work with
(that you can slip the new shaft over)?

Well, I just got the new electronic module installed -- none of the
supplied mounting hardware comes even close to matching this oven; had
to modify the existing bracket to align the controls with the existing
knob locations by over 1/8" -- fortunately was enough material to file
out the hole locations enough.

It looks somewhat out of place with the rest of the range but one will
eventually get used to it; the big surprise is that the problem with the
oven cleaning cycle I had never been able to diagnose the cause for the
oven lock solenoid to not lock to start the cycle appears to have
actually been that set of contacts in the clock module -- so there was a
failure there that I had not previously attributed to the clock.

Like I said, there were problems with that (original) timer unit.
Your statement above " Has worked for nearly 40 years... and the
timer/clock itself is still fully functional" ends up NOT being
correct, eh???

Apparently so...I had put off in-depth digging as could never find
wiring diagram but the clock module/relay I had never suspected.

I'm curious where you saw anything specific about the timer; I had never
come across that in all the searching for parts, etc., ...

Goes back a few years to bulletins I got from a supplier when the last
NOS timers dissapeared from the market - and a timer repair company I
dealt with to get a timer repaired. There were several timers they
could not provide service for because the entire stock of replacement
parts had been consumed. They had commissioned a run of new EL
displays for my particular timer - and were down to the last dregs
because it ALSO had a higher than anticipated failure rate.

I noticed a reference to the high failure rate of yours again while
researching it to see what you needed. Can't remember where it was
though.

Interesting...somehow I've never seen any such references...having never
suspected it as a culprit I hadn't ever really searched for repairs for
it, itself, however, which might be the difference.

I kept the old one; some cold winter evening I might try to see if can
tell just which contact seems to have failed...the only other failure on
this range was one of the oven door locking switches for the microwave
function -- I was able to find a couple of NOS Cherry identical
replacements for them on eBay for like $1/ea so I bought like four for
spares... They could be replaced with any limit switch of roughly
same geometry but having the identical one makes replacement trivial
rather than having to manufacture a mounting arrangement or build a
longer reach arm or the like...