Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing crack in ceramic sink?

On 5/22/2019 9:03 PM, Dave Garrett wrote:
Got a hairline crack in our ceramic kitchen sink, thanks to ill-
advisedly pouring out some boiling water that hadn't quite cooled down
enough. The crack isn't very obvious (you have to look closely to see
it), but it's spreading and I'm concerned that in addition to leaking,
the sink will become structurally unstable if it spreads too far.

The usual recommendation seems to be application of epoxy in the crack,
followed by appliance paint and a sealant. However, being a hairline
crack, it's not large enough to put any epoxy directly into it, so I'm
assuming a layer of epoxy on top of and around the perimeter of the
crack is what's called for.

Anyone had to deal with a similar situation before?

I'd put some fiberglass cloth and epoxy on the underside to keep it
structurally sound. I'd also start shopping for new sinks as it will
probably just spread anyway.