Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk[_2_] Leon Fisk[_2_] is offline

Default MO How To: Remove a cracked set screw

On Wed, 22 May 2019 09:24:08 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Well I drilled it out and smacked an extractor into it and still nothing.
Unfortunately it drilled slightly off center and I don't think I want to
chase down to the threads with bigger drills now. I think my next step will
be to see if I can rotary cut a notch or two with a tiny burr and use a
small drift to back drive it out.

Slightly larger left-hand drill bit? Not cheap, especially for a set
but McMaster carries most sizes in singles too. A good chance it would
just unscrew when you hit the magic size that relieves the tension on
it...

Do you have enough material to just drill a bigger hole, thread and use
a larger set screw?

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI