Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default touch sensitive lamp

On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 14:23:31 UTC+1, petek wrote:
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 1:50:40 PM UTC+1, tabb wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 12:57:35 UTC+1, petek wrote:

I have a floor standing lamp which has a touch sensitive switch. If you touch the lamp housing or upper part of the stem the lamp toggles through 2 or 3 brightness levels and on/off. It hasn't been used for some time but when I tried it the other day it is not working, i.e. it won't switch on. I've changed the bulb but still no joy. Any ideas what the problem is, and if it is repairable? TIA
Pete

If you don't know what the problem is you don't know how to repair it. Have you checked the obvious stuff, fuse, screwed connections etc? If the touch controller is fried it may be bypassable.

NT

Yes, I've checked all the obvious stuff. My question about it being repairable could have been stated better. I don't know how these touch sensitive lamps work so I'm assuming there is some internal gismo (touch controller?) that is not functioning. If so, would it be a generic unit that is replaceable or would it be unique to the brand of lamp?

Yes there's an internal controller. I don't know if you might find a replacement from Ebay, or if it would be safe. The alternative is to bypass the touch switch.

NT