Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pancho Pancho is offline

Default TeamViewer

On 21/05/2019 21:02, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2019 19:14:34 +0100, Pancho wrote:

I don't know what you mean console session in Linux. Do you mean ssh
client, if so why not use MobaXterm (or Putty, if you can handle the
mouse button cut/paste dangers)

No, I mean access to the *physical* screen of the machine.

Ah!, consoles, cold server rooms that fill with inert gas in a fire, I
remember them now.

A lot of Linux remote solutions create virtual displays (remember, Linux
is really Unix. Multi user and session from the ground up).

Windows NT was designed that way from the ground up, too. It was hobbled
afterwards.

Having said that I rarely run any GUI/Windowing systems on *nix.
Boot/System problem diagnosis is via a log file.

That said, ssh access is a godsend. I have an aversion to having to
clamber around a cupboard to view a physical screen if a machine has
stalled on bootup. Which makes it more surprising that there appears to
be no "ssh by default" liveCDs out there. I had to roll my own.

AIUI a lot of the Linux systems are now designed to be installed using
automatic provisioning scripts, so you set up ssh in the provisioning
script, presumably with SSH key files. It's been a while since I did one
and it tends to go in one ear and out the other.