Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default TeamViewer

On 21/05/2019 21:03, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 20 May 2019 18:35:24 UTC+1, Bill wrote:
What alternatives to TeamViewer are people using?

I have been hit by their sudden "Commercial use suspected" even though I
only ever connect to one 86-year old friend. He and his wife have 3
Windows machines and he has just bought 2 old iMacs, and is trying to
move to Mac in spite of my protestations. Hence a flurry of connections.

Teamviewer has a form to fill in to protest private use, but here it
just leads to an error page. I found their forum, but all that reveals
is a huge thread full of similar complaints, so it looks as though the
Teamviewer free option is on the way out. They seem to be manually
deleting any references to rivals on the forum and also any email
addresses.

I still help a couple of commercial companies with their IT, but always
in person. I used to recommend TeamViewer, but having delved into the
shambles that is their web site, I now think the time has come to find
an alternative that works to access Windows and Macs.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I use ScreenConnect - my favourite remote control. Don't think there is a free version, though.

Yup, same here... and self hosted, one off purchase of licenses.

Have also used Splashtop - works, nothing special. Again, don't know if there is a free version.

The remote control built into Avast's Cloud Care platform is not too bad
these days. Again not totally free - but near enough since it costs
nothing over the basic AV subscription.

Agree with VPN and RDP if feasible.

RDP is good sometimes, but there are some applications for where its not
much use - like logging into a display computer running customer facing
video etc where you don't want it it hide the local display or leave it
sat at a windows login screen on exit.

--
Cheers,

John.