Don Klipstein

Default Failing Fluorescent Fixtures

On 18 Dec 2003 01:08:40 -0800, (Fleemo) wrote:

I have a fluorescent light fixture in my bathroom that won't fully
light up anymore. When I flick the switch, the bulbs come on to about
30% full brightness. If I leave them on for a long time (maybe a half
an hour), they eventually kick on to full brightness. Obviously the
bulbs aren't burned out. What do I need to do in order to "see the
light?"

Does this have two 2-foot 1.5 inch diameter 20 watt bulbs? If so, then
chances are you have the usual "trigger start" ballast for that. I see
that dim performance, often with a little flickering, with those.

Replacing both bulbs usually fixes this.

Probably better would be to replace the ballast with one for two F17T8
"lamps" (bulbs), and then get two of those bulbs. You will probably need
to get all of this from an electrical or electrical/lighting supply shop.
Pay attention to the ballast wiring diagram on the label - it may
be different from from the wiring of the old ballast.

The F17T8 bulbs are available in different colors and two color
rendering grades. My favorite is GE /SPX35, Philips /TL835, or Sylvania
/D835 ("semi warm white" [my words] 3500 Kelvin, color rendering index in
the low-mid 80's).

- Don Klipstein )