Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil level sensor.

In article ,
Robin wrote:
Old car has a low oil level sensor, which has never really worked
properly. And spares for it NLA.

It has a probe in the sump about 2" long, which merely screws in. Doesn't
tell you the oil level as such - just warns if it gets too low.

I've looked for a modern aftermarket set (probe plus electronics) but
can't find anything.

I've also no idea on the principle of how it works.

Is the sensor a cylinder the oil can enter? If so I'd suspect it
measures the changes in capacitance between the case and a central
electrode as the level of oil changes.

No - it is a sealed unit. Hence not being able to guess just how it works.
Or not.

Don't ask me about the electronics to convert that to a measurable
signal: I opted out of electronics in favour of what seemed more useful
at the time (eg nuclear).

Anyone know of anything that could be adapted? Electronics obviously
need to be able to work from a car supply.

Similar sensors from other cars of the period - eg Buicks?

As I said anything suitable has been NLA for some time. When I bought the
car at about 3 years old, BL couldn't supply a spare sensor.

--
*Always borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.