Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reducing the german cockroach population

On Mon, 20 May 2019 22:49:39 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/20/2019 06:56 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 20 May 2019 18:49:03 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/20/2019 10:29 AM,
wrote:
On Mon, 20 May 2019 03:28:04 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

I am looking for new ways for reducing my German cockroach population.

I current use Diatomaceous Earth and roach bait.

I keep areas fairly clean of food particles.

I live in an apt. so I understand that they can come from their apartments.

Thanks,
Andy

The only way to make a dent in them is to get everyone in that
building to let the exterminator in on the same days and stay after
them for a couple of months until all the eggs have hatched. You also
need to treat the ground outside.
German and Asian roaches are the worst and they have been living with
people for thousands of years. They are very hard to get rid of and
easy to get back.
Give me the good old Florida palmetto bug (American cockroach) any
day.

Palmetto bugs are big enough to make good action targets for an airsoft
pistol...

Catch one and hand it to a northerner and they will scream like a
little girl. They really freak if you throw it in the air and it
flies away.

Coming across the panhandle one night I was dead tired and stopped at
the first motel I could find. Opened the door, turned on the lights, and
one of the *******s was perched on the bed instead of complementary
chocolates. I figured if he tried to steal my covers in the night I'd
pin him to the mattress with my Buck.

In the grand scheme of the critters here they are really pretty
harmless. They don't bite, they don't seriously compete for your food
and they really prefer to live outside, unlike those nasty little
roaches who live in your stuff or all of the other things that want to
eat you a drop of blood at a time or just kill you outright, drag you
off and eat you a limb at a time.

The reality is the American roach here has not lived with the myriad
of chemicals people have been throwing at roaches for the last 200
years and they are real easy to kill. I just spray damned anything
around outside the house and I never see a live one inside.
Occasionally one staggers in and drops dead.
I have a lot more trouble with ants.