Dave Gibson

Default Silent thermostat

"Huge" wrote in message

I've never been very happy about the idea of electric overblankets. Are
they safe?

Yes. But like all electrical items you have to treat them with respect.
Always buy new and follow the instructions carefully (which are only common
sense instructions).

By law all electric blankets sold have to be BEAB approved and have built in
overheat protection. They also monitor earth leakage and check for breaks in
the circuit continuously.

They are so robust you can wash them in a washing machine, although
personally we don't. We replace ours every 5 years as a matter of course.

To be absolutly straight, yes, they have caused fires, and people have died
using them, but in all cases blankets have been blatently faulty and 99%
were over 10 years old. I believe about 20 people a year in the UK die using
them.

Compare this with fatalities caused by faulty heaters.

Using one is safer than crossing the road, but you have to weigh up the pros
and cons in your own mind.

HTH

Dave