Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Ownership of kitchen and DIY store by Travis Perkins - where tobuy kitchen?

On 19/05/2019 16:00, David wrote:
I started out to buy a couple or three kitchen units to use in a home
office.

Firstly, we went to Wickes for a looks see. They were akin to a chocolate
fire guard with useful information, but we came away with a book for
bespoke kitchens (the kind you have to order through the sales droids)
which are apparently different from the boxed self-assembly ones in store.

We then went to the nearby Benchmarx kitchen place, which we initially
thought was a public (as opposed to trade) version of Howdens (which was
next door). Turns out that they are owned by TP and allegedly I can use my
TP trade account to buy there.

Comparing the brochures at home afterwards the unit measurements at the
back looked suspiciously similar.

Turns out Wickes are owned by TP as well, so it looks very much as if a
bespoke (retail) Wickes kitchen and a Benchmarx (allegedly trade only)
kitchen are the same range (or at least the same manufacturer).

I am now looking at the TP website and they offer kitchens as well,
although I haven't delved deep enough to see if they are only flatpack or
if they come pre-assembled as you would get from Benchmarx.

All very confusing.

I would opt for pre-assembled (as from Howdens and Benchmarx) instead of
flat pack because you get it the next day and also you don't have the
issue of missing or broken bits in the flat pack. Plus the time taken to
assemble.

Has anyone else been down this route and compared the prices etc. from
these three separate routes to possibly the same kitchen units?

Is there yet another route to the same kitchen units?

TIA

Dave R

Last time I did one (admittedly a few years ago) I was surprised to find
that B&Q had a good range of carcase sizes, reasonable prices, and quite
good quality. (I did just buy the carcases, and made the doors myself as
there were three random sized "waste bin" slots in my layout).

---