parish

Default [OT] Car insurance craziness

Capitol wrote:
1) The current newsreader used in say 98% of PC's world wide is OE.

Your figures are from what source? I'd be very surprised if it was
anything like 98% in *this* group judging by the UA strings I've seen.

2) OE ( and now Mozilla) are top and middle posting systems.

Read one of my replies to EssJay; Mozilla is *bottom* posting by default
but with an option to top post, mainly for use with e-mail where company
policy dictates this.

2) If this group does not show 98% of users using OE, then for a public
consumer information oriented group it is a failure! Think about it!

ROFLMAO. I don't know what you're smoking but I'd stop it, it's causing
brain damage.

[remaining pointless ramblings snipped]

I suggest you go and read RFC1855 "Netiquette Guidelines"

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html section 3.1.1, particularly the
para beginning "If you are sending a reply to a message".

Also read http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html particularly section 3.1,
first bullet point, and section 3.2

These are the rules of Usenet (the latter being specific to the uk.*
hierarchy). Now these rules aren't enforced by law so no-one's going to
lock you up for not following them but this is how the Internet works,
by users voluntarily adhering to agreed rules (mainly RFCs), and people
that don't adhere to them will get grief.

There is a mechanism to change these rules (RFDs I believe) so if you
really believe that top-posting should become the standard then you, or
maybe Microsoft, should propose a change to RFC1855.

This particular group has a rather basic charter but some, e.g.
uk.comp.os.win2000, have more comprhensive charters. The one for
u.c.o.win2000 expicitly forbids top-posting. See
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.comp.os....omp.os.win2000
(they refer to it as "upside down quoting").