Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Drill charger diagnostics

On 18/05/2019 19:08, D.M. Procida wrote:
ARW wrote:

The LEDs (charging, fully-charged) are both off. There is no voltage at
the charger's output, which is why I opened it up to find out if I could
where the fault is.

I would not expect an output from the transformer unless there is a load
on it. And the load would be detected by the components on the PCB.

That surprises me. I would have expected to see 18V or whatever on the
output side leads, *unless* something in the PCB were shorting them (and
in which case, I would expect the fuse to have blown).

Daniele

If you allowed the battery voltage to drop too much then I thought
this could cause overheating and a fire, so the charger measures
the battery voltage and simply refused to charge at all as a
safety precaution.

Sometimes, removing the batteries and charging them with a
proper bench power supply that can supply a constant current
or voltage might recover them.

battery-powered tools need to be charged regularly, even if
not used for extended periods.