Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Boiler Issue

I'm amazed that a boiler is not fitted with a suitable bit of plumbing to
dump water somewhere appropriate, not on the floor, though!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Al wrote:

I have an 8 year old Worcester Greenstar Heatslave 18/25 oil-fired boiler
which has been misbehaving lately. Whereas previously the pressure gauge
only moved over a very limited range during the course of day in which
heating and hot water were required, over the last few months that range
has got wider and wider, from zero first thing in the morning before it
fires up, to about 2.5 a few hours later. IIRC, if it gets to 3 it will
activate a pressure relief valve and dump water all over the floor, which
I'd really like to avoid obviously.
What's the most likely cause of the problem?
thanks.

Sounds to be like the pressure vessel has failed. If's basically a
diaphragm in a sealed box with water one side and pressurised gas on the
other. Which moves to accommodate the increase in pressure in a sealed
system as the water heats up and expands. Depending on boiler design, may
not be difficult to replace.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.