SteveB

Default Garbage Disposal Problem

"dave" wrote in message
m...
I installed a garbage disposal in my home a couple of years ago. It
had been running fine until a few weeks ago, when the drain started to
get plugged up. Snaking the drain would resolve the problem, but it
kept happening. Suspecting that it was the garbage disposal, we
stopped using the disposal, and the problem went away.

The garbage disposal *runs* fine, but it appears that it isn't
chopping up waste fine enough for it to flow into the sewer line
without clogging up the drain.

Do I have any hope of fixing this thing, or should I go out and get a
new one?

Don't know about your house, but at mine, my wife thinks that the garbage
disposer works like a trash can ............ when it gets full, you empty
it. I think that you turn it on every time you put something down there,
and don't let it ferment or fill up. Different strokes, I guess. I also
like to run water before I send something down the drain. And let it run
for a while after it's gone. It drives her up a wall. Maybe your problem
is the way you use it. They ARE garbage disposals, but they DO have some
limitations.

BTW, I can always figure on potato peels to clog mine. Particularly if you
put them down a whole load at a time instead of a slow stream.

Check your trap, too.

Steve